St Catherine’s Oratory

Rookley PO38 3NZ, United Kingdom

Website

0370 333 1181

} FREE ENTRY Open any reasonable time during daylight hours

St. Catherine’s Oratory is a medieval lighthouse on St. Catherine’s Down near the southern coast of the Isle of Wight, the Back of the Wight. It was built by Lord of Chale Walter de Godeton (sometimes spelled “Goditon”) as an act of penance for plundering wine from the wreck of St. Marie of Bayonne in Chale Bay on 20 April 1313 AD. The lighthouse tower is known locally as the “Pepperpot”.

Visited 812 times, 1 Visit today

Add a Review

Rate this by clicking a star below:

Related Listings

model

01983 840270

Isle of Wight, High Street, Godshill PO38 3HH, United Kingdom

Mon-Sun: 10:00 - 16:00

Pinpoint

  As their website describes it – ‘so much more than a collection of little houses…’ The Model Village will take you back in time, to holidays… Read more…

galleryseyarmouthcastle01

01983 760678

Yarmouth PO41 0PB, United Kingdom

Mon-Sun: 10:00 am - 4:00 pm

Pinpoint

Yarmouth Castle, Isle of Wight provides a magnificent picnic spot, with views over the Solent for a lovely relaxing family day by the sea. Read more…

Bembridge Windmill Isle of Wight

(01983) 741020

Bembridge Windmill, High Street, Bembridge, United Kingdom

Pinpoint

The beautiful windmill near Bembridge village have a beautiful view over the East Isle of Wight countryside and has been opened to the public by the National… Read more…